Friday, January 2, 2009

A new room for a new life.

A couple of weeks ago we ventured out to one of those giant baby stores and made the 2 big purchases... crib, and rocker. The only major let down at the end of a great day of spending money, was that the crib wasn't going to be in for 16 weeks (we of course chose the one that wasn't even in production yet... THEN WHY IS IT IN THE CATALOG ALREADY?) and the rocker was going to take 12 weeks. Well, I am thrilled to say that they lied and both items are in!

This spurred us to get the nursery going... and because Zach is involved... we got going fast. I purchased new paint earlier this week. I thought the color that was there was fine, great in fact... but Zach likened it to baby vomit and said we would see enough of that in the future. If it 'gets' on the walls its different than choosing for it to 'be' the walls. I decided to compromise and at least stay in the green family. Because I didn't feel it NEEDED to be painted... I said I would cut in the base boards (who wants to see a 6'4" guy buckled over showing some crack trying to do that??) but that would be my only paint contribution. (For all you worriers, yes, I wore an intense mask and we buy only low voc paints...) There were plenty of other nesting tasks to take care of. I took down Christmas, did laundry, cleaned, and I went to check on him at lunch and he was done! The color looks great... glad I compromised.

We are picking up the crib and rocker today around lunch time and putting them in the room to get things really going. Only problem is the room still has stuff in it. I say 'stuff' loosely. The room has important, memorable items in it... Items that are going to have to find a new home. Hopefully we can re purpose some of my favorite things to the garage until further notice, but I am afraid some might have to go... like the guitar. When you haven't played the guitar since freshman year of college when you purchased it on a whim (so typical and embarrassing), it might be time to let someone else play it. Or shall I say, let SOMEONE play it. The guitar needs a new home. I have someone in mind... He is 10 years old and very cute. I'll see if he is interested. The other 'item' in the room that will be hard for me to let go of is my sweet grandmother's old refrigerator.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but its not just any fridge... its a 1950's GE rounded corner beauty. When she was moving out of her house and into an Alzheimer's facility I got a few things from her home, and the fridge might be my fave. My memories might be so fond because the freezer section always had girlscout cookies in it (literally ALWAYS) and the fridge was stocked with Fresca and Dr. Pepper (sugary treats not usually in the Rose house). Or, I might just love that it was her's and now it's mine. Oouida Belle Dorr inspired me in so many ways, with all her quilting and counseling... I hope someday to make even a tenth of an impact she made on this place. Not ready to let go of the fridge yet, hopefully we can just move it to the garage and I can use it for art storage.

Here she is. (and if you look closely you can see the new wall color, pleasantly called 'elemental')





2 comments:

brown eyed blogg said...

I say 2 things.

1. The pic of u preggo makes me want to cry. U r freakin cute.

2. Work the fridge into the nursery. Maybe u could keep random stuff in it :)

Miss u love u. Laughing out loud about the gutair comment!!!!

Denise said...

The cutest thing I ever saw done with an old fridge... the door was removed and hung on the wall to be a posting site for kids artwork, photos, etc. It could start out as a memento locale for baby well wishes, cards, photos, etc. and evolve into a little art gallery. I have this feeling your sweet child will be artistic and some family art projects will be taking place in the Ryan home. Plus, you could still use the "body" for storage in the garage. Lastly, you are the cutest preggo EVER -- I looked SO haggard all the time -- YOU are ADORABLE!