Tuesday, August 25, 2009

school has started

yesterday was our first day with the kiddos. its crazy how being a mom now has changed my perspective in everything... but now i am realizing i think its going to affect my teaching.

all of these snotty nosed, hormone raging, emotionally charged twerps are someone's baby. wow. a new love for them is developing.

best story of the day:

while i was giving my schpeel to my class (rules, supplies, tardies, make-up work...) a sweet little boy raised his hand like he was trying really hard to touch the ceiling. usually only 6th graders raise their hands like that, because in 6th grade its still super cool to know every answer and be the first called on... but this was a 7th grader. normally my 7th graders have to be deeply convinced of an answer or have some sort of great investment in an activity to raise their hands. so i called on him... because my goodness, he must have something important to add to our conversation.

and this is what he said:

boy: 'hey, mrs. ryan. has anyone ever told you that you REALLY look like a celebrity?'

me: 'no sweetie, im just a teacher... not nearly that cool.'

boy: 'well, you look EXACTLY like Molly Ringwald. like, exactly like her. when she was younger... (pause) I LOVE SIXTEEN CANDLES.'

i couldn't help but just start laughing. how many 7th grade boys do you know that have seen Sixteen Candles? and how many of them have watched it enough times to know Molly Ringwald's name? she's not exactly an 'it' name these days. i would expect a Twilight reference... but certainly not Sixteen Candles. and not from a 7th grade boy.

4 comments:

brown eyed blogg said...

LOL im laughing how cute

Brenda said...

He probably has a sister who made him watch it or maybe just weird?

br

Kimberly said...

Thank you for sharing that story, I love it ! You are in my thoughts and prayers for the days ahead with being back to school and ajusting to being a working mom. Kimberly

HILER said...

Too funny, Carrie! You do sort of look like her now that you mention it. I saw your blog on Denise's. Porter is precious!

Hillary Kucera Hiler