Monday, August 31, 2009

guilty pumper

amazing story from today. if you know me, you know that i pump. (if you need further explanation, you don't know me.) and today was one of many amazing pumping blunders i have had along the way.

i took a half day at school so i could take porter to get his 4 month shots. i left school at noon and knew i needed to pump before i picked him up because otherwise it would be way too long before i got home. one would think i should have just stayed in my classroom and pumped like i always do during my conference period but i just knew the sub, who would have a key, would surely walk in the moment i hooked up. i couldn't bare the thought of being 'caught.'

so the solution was to pump in my car. this is not a first. i have even pumped while i was driving... several times. i love to multi-task. there is a place near the high school football field that has a little path back behind some trees... i have pumped there several times so i thought it to be a good spot. it is surely where the high school kids go to smoke. seemed safe enough.

well, about 5 minutes into the process, something terrible happened.

a cop pulled up behind me.

i just knew he was going to come to my window and ask me if i was huffing paint or something and why i was 'hiding' my suv behind the trees next to the football field.

when the cop got out i realized it was the officer that is stationed at my school... gary...and i was a little relieved and TOTALLY mortified at the same time.

panic came over me. all i could think was that i had 2 options: a.) wait until he comes to the window and play it cool with the sweater draped over me. or b.) abruptly roll down my window and shout out what is going on.

yep. i opted for plan b.

i rolled down my window and flailed my arm out and shouted "gary! gary! its carrie! you have to STOP. don't come over here! i can't tell you what im doing!"

gary: "hey carrie... you what?" (he partly couldn't hear me... and partly was probably thinking...did she just say that she can't tell me what she's doing?'

me: "ok fine. please dont come to the window... IM PUMPING. you know. pumping."

gary: "oh, god. seriously? i was just coming to take a smoke break. you just keep on pumping. i am NOT coming to your window."

awesome.

so not only was he NOT planning on coming to the window...he did NOT need or want to know what i was doing.

these are the times i think about how lucy thinks im just like bridget jones... and i think she might be right. so awkward.

on to other news. thanks so much for all the concern for p -- his fever is gone and turns out it was just a little cold (that he ended up giving me)... oh, daycare.

he did great today at his 4 month visit. 14 lbs. and 25 1/2 inches long. long and lean.

5 comments:

emily said...

That is too funny. I love the title of the post!

Kimberly said...

TOO FUNNY ! Thank you for being brave and sharing the story ... glad to hear that the doctor appointment went well.

Megan Sandoz said...

I am sitting at a table with other people otherwise I would be laughing out loud. Oh Carrie! I am sorry that happened but I admit I am thankful for the interior laugh I am experiencing right now...

Laura SanchezQuan said...

That's awesome. I love it!

lisa said...

i love it. you make me laugh. i wish i would have been in the car with you... i mean, kind of.