Wednesday, July 13, 2011

complete refusal.

So, this is a true story from the front lines. Porter has always loved his naps. He has hardly cried for them - and once he's down he's usually out for quite a while. Well, he has recently started an all out protest of them. Is this normal? My goal this week was to get us out and about everyday before 10 - do something fun and tiring - and be back by nap time. Well, this seems to be backfiring. He has completely refused his hap. I have heard people say that before and thought, refused? Who refuses a nap? You leave them in there long enough and they go to sleep.

Well...

Monday, I walked him back and disciplined him again and again for an hour and half, until finally I realized we was going to keep getting up no matter what. What did I do? I set up the pack n play and put him in it - much like a cage, I suppose. He cried for 30 minutes and fell asleep.

Since that day, he has waned his pack n play more than his 'big boy bed' for each sleep. He still fights it, doesn't want to go, cries a while - but eventually gives in.

Today is another story.

Today, it is 3:23. He is still not asleep. I put him in his pack n play at 1:15 where he seemed to settle in without too much fuss. Then I heard banging (feet perhaps? I really need a video monitor) and he started to amp up to a yell. I went in a few different times with reasoning strategies. This is why we nap - you have to get strong - are your teeth hurting? - you need some tylenol? We rocked, we sang, we snuggled, we tucked in. Each time I left he would scream but I thought we were getting closer.

10 minutes ago, I walked in and what I saw astounded me. Porter had folded up the pad that goes in the bottom of the pack n play (the only thing that gives it a floor and keeps you from standing on a flimsy sheet of canvas). He had removed the sheet and thrown it. All of his bedtime cuddly things were thrown about (there are quite a few these days). Blanket was half way across the room. Monkey, beloved monkey, was no where to be seen. Here's the real kicker - his clothes were off. Shirt on one side of the room, shorts on the other. And diaper dangling by one tiny hook of velcro. His man parts were slightly exposed and he was shouting 'My diaper is off!!!!' (like he was surprised). I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't want to make him think it was funny... I calmly re dressed him, gave him a fresh diaper, got the pack n play all fresh and ready with all his comforts, rocked him, and put his sorry butt back in there.

Am I crazy?

My child is disrobing himself and starting to destroy things, but I REALLY don't want to give in and let him know that that behavior means no nap. This might be one of those moments where most moms would be like, well, I guess he doesn't want to nap today... I am not there yet.

I just wanted to document this. Still standing strong at 3:30 - about to go see if he's fallen asleep. Updates to come.

3 comments:

lisa said...

you are not crazy. i would have done the same thing. mary hasn't done all of the funny things that porter did, but i have kept her in her bed for an entire nap time when she never actually napped. i'm impressed that you were able to calmly, without laughing, gather things up and get him back in bed. hilarious! you win. :)

Megan Sandoz said...

I think you're awesome Carrie. Keep it up! :)

Laura SanchezQuan said...

keep it up! you're doing the right thing!